Ponte Vecchio (or the Old Bridge) is a popular medieval bridge in Florence crossing the Arno River. Built during the Roman Empire, the bridge was initially made out of wood but in 1333 a flood destroyed it and it was rebuilt in 1345; sp the bridge we see today, is a 3 arched bridge made of stone.
Ponte Vecchio is noted for still having shops built along it, as it was once common. Butchers initially occupied the shops (in 1593 the Medici Grand Dukes prohibited butchers from selling there). The current tenants are jewellers, art dealers and souvenir sellers.
The architecture of Ponte Vecchio is mainly attributed to Taddeo Gaddi. Giorgio Vasari was commissioned in 1565 to build the upper part of the bridge in order to connect the Palazzo Vecchio (Florence’s town hall) with the Palazzo Pitti, it is now called the Vasari Corridor (Corridoio Vasariano in Italian).