The Leaning Tower of Pisa or Torre pendente di Pisa, took about 177 years to build (construction began in August 1173). It began to lean 5 years later (in about 1178) once construction on the second floor had begun. The lean was due to one side sinking into the soft ground.
This tower was built as a freestanding bell tower for the cathedral in Pisa. There are about 294 steps on the north side and 296 steps on the south side of the tower.
Because of wars, the construction was stopped twice, the first time for about 100 years, the second time in 1284.
There are 7 bells located in the bell Tower, all tuned to one note of the musical major scale.
The Tower has been closed for public since 1988, to prevent it from any susceptible danger of elevating its inclination. But no one stops you from posing and taking some cliched yet, memorable pictures.
During World War II, the Allies discovered that the Germans were using the tower as an observation post. A U.S. Army sergeant sent to confirm the presence of German troops in the tower was impressed by the beauty of the cathedral and its campanile, and thus refrained from ordering an artillery strike, sparing it from destruction. So now, we can gaze upon the towers beauty!